This half-timbered building which looks like a Bavarian garden cottage in a peaceful wooded setting is the original Krematoria built in 1940, to house one double oven in which the bodies of dead prisoners were cremated. According to historian John Toland, the cremation of the dead was ordered by Heinrich Himmler in an effort to stop epidemics in all the camps. When the mortality rate increased as the camp population grew, another larger crematorium building had to be built in 1942, using prison labor. Here a group of very subdued teen-aged tourists visits the tiny room where flowers have been placed on the oven by visitors in remembrance of the dead.
Back to Home Page
Back to Picture List