Russian Orthodox Chapel
A small Russian Orthodox Catholic Chapel stands on a mound just to the left of the tourist entrance into the crematoria area. It was built in honor of an estimated 6,000 Russian Prisoners of War who died in the Dachau camp or were executed at the SS firing range at Herbertshausen. All Russian POWs who were believed to be Communist Commissars were executed, in Dachau and elsewhere, on an order from Adolf Hitler who issued this directive on the eve of the German invasion of Russia on July 22, 1941. In all the camps, the Russian POWs were treated much worse than other prisoners in retaliation for the atrocities committed by the Russians against German soldiers. The Russians had not signed the most recent agreement at the Geneva Convention and were not following the rules of warfare with regard to German Prisoners of War. After the liberation of Dachau, the remaining Russian POWs were turned over to the Soviet Union in accordance with the Allied agreement at Yalta in 1943. The Soviet Union treated these returning prisoners as traitors and immediately sent them to a gulag, as the Communist concentration camps were called.
The first photograph below was taken from the west side of the Russian Orthodox chapel. The door of the chapel faces north and is hidden in the shadows on the left in this picture, but is shown in close-up in the second photograph. The third picture below shows a small one-room cabin to the west of the chapel where groups can hold a meeting around the table inside. Behind the cabin, but not accessible from this side, is the old crematorium building. It is hidden by the trees behind the cabin in the photograph.