Click inside the map above to continue the Virtual Tour or click on one of the links below to see aerial views of the camp.
Aerial View of Memorial Site at former Dachau Concentration Camp
Aerial View of Dachau Concentration Camp
Back to Home Page
Back to Picture List
(The top of this map does not represent true North. Check the previous map of the town of Dachau to see the true orientation of this camp map, or click on the link to the second aerial view to see a picture of the camp with the top of the picture pointing north.)
1. The Lagerstrasse (main camp road).
2. The Wohnbaracken (barracks) There were 15 barracks buildings on each side of the main road. Each barrack or block had a number. There were two infirmary barracks, a canteen and a workshop barrack.
3. The Appellplatz (roll call square) where prisoners had to assemble each morning and evening.
4. The Jourhaus or Gate house, the only entrance into the camp when it was in operation. Now the present-day entrance to the Memorial Site is through a space where the fence has been taken down, located at the top right hand corner of this map.
5. The Wirtschaftsgebaude (now the museum) contained the kitchen, laundry, storage rooms for prisoners' clothing and personal belongings, and the notorious shower baths where the SS would punish prisoners by flogging and hanging them at the stake.
6. The Rivierbaracken (infirmary barracks) were located initially on the right hand side of the Lagerstrasse. An alarming increase in disease and epidemics necessitated the extension of the infirmary from two to thirteen barracks after 1939.
The experimental station of Dr. Rascher was set up in Block 5 where high pressure and exposure experiments were practiced on defenseless prisoners. Professor Schilling had prisoners infected with malaria. Bio-chemical experiments were also carried out in Dachau. Many of these medical experiments resulted in death.
7. The Totenkkammer (morgue) was permanently crammed with corpses.
8. The Starfblocke (penal barracks) were used to isolate so-called second timers who had been arrested again after their previous release from the camp upon completion of their sentence. They were earmarked by the SS and the Gestapo for especially severe treatment.
9. Block 26, the Priesterblock (Catholic priests' block)
10. The Kantine (canteen) [According to Dachau survivor Nerin E. Gun, the prisoners were paid two marks per week in script which they could use to buy items from the canteen.]
11. The Desinfektionsbaracke (disinfection barrack)
12. The Lagergartnerei (camp market garden)
13. The Graben (ditch), the Stacheldrahthindernis (electric fence) and the Lagermauer (wall surrounding the camp)
14. Strip of grass in front of the ditch. [The SS guards were authorized to shoot anyone who stepped on this grass.]
15. Behind the administration building was the Lagerarrest (camp prison). Flogging, punishment at the stake and executions were carried out in the yard of this building.
16. Krematorium (crematorium) which was called Barrack X. Upon orders of the SS Economic Administration Main Office in Berlin, a gas chamber was installed in Barrack X. This gas chamber, disguised as a shower room, was never used. The prisoners selected for "gassing" were transported from Dachau to the Hartheim Castle, near Linz, Austria or to other camps. In Hartheim alone, 3,166 prisoners were gassed between January 1942 and November 1944.
17. SS Schiessplatz (rifle range) where approximately 6,000 Russian prisoners of war were executed.
18. The Leitenberg where 7,500 prisoners from all European nations, who died shortly before their liberation, were buried.
19. The Waldfriedhof (cemetery of the town of Dachau) where the last 1230 prisoners who died in the concentration camp of Dachau were buried.
20. The Catholic Chapel, named Todesangst Christi Kapelle (Christ in Agony), built in 1960
21. The Jewish Memorial Temple built in 1965
22. The Protestant Memorial Church, built in 1965
23. International Memorial, built in 1968
24. Carmelite convent, built in 1964
25. Russian Orthodox chapel, built in 1995
This map and the description of the buildings is from the Museum Guidebook.