The Rathaus (Town Hall) consists of two buildings, located on the west side of the Market Place. The Gothic part is the white building on the left; it was built between 1250 and 1400. The front part of the Rathaus, which is the Renaissance building on the right in the photo above, was built between 1572 and 1578.
The arcade across the side of the new town hall building, shown in the photo above, was added in 1681. The building faces the Market Square.
Note the oriel windows on the corner of the new part of the Rathaus, on the right in the photo above. Underneath the first floor window is a sculpture of the builder, Leonhard Weidmann, which is shown in the photo below.
The coats of arms of the German electoral princes are displayed on the front of the Renaissance part of the building. During the Middle Ages, the German states were part of the Holy Roman Empire of the German nation and the princes elected the emperor or Kaiser. City states like Rothenburg had electors who participated in this process.
The two parts of the Rathaus are connected by a passageway which is shown in the photo below.