The ruins of Oradour-sur-Glane

The photo above shows the interior of one of the ruined buildings. On the left is what appears to be an old stove and on the right is an iron bed frame that was twisted in the fire that destroyed this building.

The photo above shows iron pots and what appears to be a fireplace, detached from the building, on the right. Inside what looks like a fireplace is an iron pot. Although Oradour-sur-Glane was a prosperous town in a rich farming community, many of the homes did not have electricity and some of the villagers were still cooking with pots hung over an open fire.

The photo below shows what appears to be a trough for watering horses on the left. Behind the gate on the right are two old rusty cars. This photo was taken on the road to the cemetery.

The artifacts that can be seen in the ruins show a way of life that no longer exists. Walking through the ruins is like strolling through the past and peeking through the windows into a bygone era. The survivors mourn the loss of their peaceful way of life as well as the loss of their loved ones. The French government expropriated the 40 acres of the ruins of the village in 1946 and preserved them so that future generations could learn of the suffering of the French people during the German occupation.

The photo above shows the tile floor in the medical office of Dr. Paul Desourteaux on Rue de Emile Desourteaux, the main street which was named after his grandfather who was the mayor of Oradour-sur-Glane from 1892 to 1906. His son, Dr. Jacques Desourteaux, was a partner in the medical practice. Dr. Paul Desourteaux had three other sons: Hubert, Paul and Etienne. The body of Dr. Paul Desourteaux was one of the 52 that were identified. The Offical Publication gives his first name as Jean.

The photo below was taken in the lower town in the ruins of a building across from the church. I have no idea what this object is, but it has an emblem that looks like the Texaco star. It is located in the ruins of a building that Philip Beck identified as the Bouchole barn in his book, "Oradour, Village of the Dead."

The photo above shows the rusted frame of a farm vehicle. This photo was taken in one of the ruined buildings in the back of the church.

Buildings

The Bakery

Old Cars

Windows and Doors

Home