Market place in Mauthausen, Austria
Between the two huge old trees is the Karbrunnen or fountain, which has a blue and white marker, designating it as a protected historical site.
This sculpture of a deer, which is located to the west of the fountain in the Market Place in the town of Mauthausen, was done by Stanislaus Krzekotowski in 1943 in the Gusen concentration camp near the town. Is it just a coincidence that the two flower pots in the background look like the washbowls that are in the prisoners' barracks in all the Nazi concentration camps?
The words on the sign above say that the sculpture was made out of granite from the Gusen quarry in the year 1943 by a Polish artist named Stanislaus Krzekotowski when he was a prisoner in the Gusen concentration camp. Even in the worst of the Nazi concentration camps, the prisoners were allowed to create works of art and to play music.