Hartheim Castle Museum
View of Hartheim castle
from garden loggia
This photo shows the view from the garden
loggia, a separate building next to Hartheim Castle in Alkoven,
Austria. The loggia is now a museum about the history of the
castle. Through the window, one can see the northeast tower on
the left. The gas chamber is the room to the left of the tower
on the ground floor. On the right is the symbolic grave of the
victims. Note the modern gas station in the background on the
right; Hartheim castle is located right in the middle of the
town of Alkoven, not out in a field, as some people imagine.
Camillo Heinrich, Fürst
Starhemberg, painted in 1892
Schloss Hartheim, or Hartheim Castle,
was built by Jakob von Aspen in 1600. It was donated by Prince
Camillo to the Upper Austria Charity Organization as an educational
and nursing home in 1898. This painting hangs in the garden loggia
which is now a history museum.
Fürst Ludwig Starhemberg
Ludwig Starhemberg was one of the former
owners of Schloss Hartheim; this painting was done around 1795.
Original door of the
castle, on display in the history room
The original door of Hartheim castle
was removed and it has been replaced by a modern sliding glass
door on the south side of the building.
Model of a porcelain
stove in the history museum at Hartheim