Italian Monument at Leitenberg cemetery
The bodies of 7,439 mostly unknown Dachau prisoners are buried
in mass graves on a hill called Leitenberg, northwest of the
camp. Starting on May 13, 1945, Dachau farmers were forced to
haul the naked corpses, found in the camp by the American liberators
on April 29, 1945, up to this hill for burial. The cemetery was
first opened in October 1944 when the Nazis ran out of coal and
could no longer cremate the bodies.