Gate house on the left, reconstructed barrack on
After leaving the bunker, walk a few yards north to the gate
house, called the Jourhaus by the Nazis. This building, which
was built by the prisoners , was finished in 1937. It has a gate
through which prisoners entered when they arrived at the camp
to serve an undetermined period of time in "protective custody"
because they were considered to be an "enemy of the state."
The wide path continues north to the crematorium and gas chamber
building just outside the northwest corner of the camp.