Gate into former Dachau SS Army Garrison
The two Dachau city buses which take tourists to and from the Dachau train station to the Memorial Site pass the gate shown in the photo above, which is on the south side of the Dachau complex. This gate is on Pater-Roth-Strasse, a short distance from the new entrance for tourists that was opened in 2005.
The photo below, taken in May 1945, shows this same entrance shortly after Dachau was liberated by American soldiers. The gate, shown in the photo below, is on the south side of the Dachau complex, a short distance west of the present tourist entrance.
The photo above shows a gate for vehicles into the SS Army Garrison on the south side of the Dachau complex. This gate is located approximately in the center of the combined SS camp and the Dachau concentration camp, as shown on the model in the photo below. Note the large building in the background which is also shown on the model below.
In the photo above, note the small building on the left in the background, which is also shown on the model of the Dachau complex. This photo was taken around May 13, 1945 when burial of the bodies found in the camp began. The main gate building into the Dachau complex was apparently more for show than for practical purposes.
This page was created on May 30, 2007