Hohenelbe Barracks in Theresienstadt

Theresienstadt hospital was in the Hohenelbe barracks

Between Parkstrasse and Wallstrasse on the east side of the former Theresienstadt ghetto is the Hohenelbe barracks shown in the photograph above. This was the central hospital for the Jewish inmates in the ghetto. There were public baths, showers and a swimming pool located here. The building included a kitchen which prepared food for the hospital patients.

Behind this building is a large bastion jutting out from the town walls which you can get a glimpse of on the extreme left of the photo above. Located between the walls of the bastion was the Kavalir barracks. This area served as the processing center for incoming inmates in 1942, and the original reception center, shown on the previous page, was converted into a warehouse where clothing taken from the incoming prisoners was stored. Later, the Kavalir barracks was used to house the very old prisoners and also prisoners brought to Theresienstadt from the Jewish insane asylums in the Greater German Reich. Some of the insane people were placed in locked cells in the basement where they had to sleep on bare stone floors. In September 1942 Jewish inmates of the Berlin Home for the Blind were put into the Kavalir barracks.

Trudy Neuman was a patient in a mental hospital in Vienna when she was deported to Theresienstadt in 1942 and put into the Kavalir barracks where she was forced to live under horrible conditions before she died at age 52 on March 5, 1943. She was the daughter of Theodor Hertzl, the founder of Zionism.

Hertzl was a journalist who wrote a book called "The Jewish State" following the two trials of Alfred Dreyfus on charges of espionage in France, which brought to the attention of the world that Jews were forever being falsely accused. His book was favorably received and in 1897, the first meeting of the newly formed World Jewish Congress was held in Switzerland. It was at this meeting that the subject of a Jewish state was first seriously discussed. In 1948, these plans became a reality when Israel became a Jewish state.

On the opposite side of the town, directly in line with the Kavalir barracks, is another bastion where the Sudeten barracks was located. The first transport of men who arrived in the Theresienstadt ghetto on November 24, 1941 were housed in the Sudeten barracks.

Two weeks later, on December 6, 1941, the first group of women arrived and were quartered in the Dresden barracks. In July 1943, the prisoners were evacuated from the Sudeten barracks and the space was used to store the RSHA (Reich Security Home Office) archives from Berlin to keep them safe from destruction during the Allied bombing raids.

Close to the Sudeten barracks, but ouside the walls of the town was the Südberg (South hill) where the Nazis built a sports field for the Theresienstadt prisoners in 1943. Both adults and children played soccer on this field.

Historic Buildings

Art Museum

Map of Ghetto

Walls and Gate

Ghetto Museum

Town Square

Old Buildings

Restaurants and Hotel

Children's Barracks

Adult's Barracks